40 Optical Drive


This single-story, 23,000 square-foot building, built in the 1950s was the former research and development laboratory for American Optical. The building can accommodate a single user or be subdivided for up to three tenants. The building contains one loading dock.

The building is sited on the most beautiful portion of the Innovation Center – the riverfront park. A generous lawn and mature plantings lead to the river edge. Parking is available at the front of the building and the parking layout has been redesigned to better serve the needs of both 40 and 50 Optical Drive.

Tenants are invited to cross to the Conference Center via the Quinebaug River footbridge. All of the Conference Center facilities are easily accessible and available to the building tenants; these include the Conference Center, pub and fitness center.

Given the building’s floor-to-ceiling height of 12′, its excellent window lines and location within the park, 40 Optical Drive is ideally suited for light manufacturing, research & development and office/call center.

Physical Description

Proposed Use: Laboratory and office

Built: 1950

Number of Floors: One

Net Rentable Area: 23,000± SF

Exterior Walls: Masonry

Fire Safety: Fully Sprinklered

Parking: 90 spaces adjacent to the building and the site

Utilities: Building served by electricity, steam, hot/chilled water and fiber; natural gas available on‑site

Loading: Yes/Drive-In

Leasing Brochure

Interested in leasing space?
We’d love to hear from you!